Defining Cochamó: An Introduction

2009-2010 SeasonBefore selling all of the furniture I owned, quitting my job, and leaving friends behind, I did some research on Patagonia. I had it in my mind that I would find a place to live and work amongst the mountains and rivers, expending massive quantities of energy on a non-stop basis. I found Cochamó’s website and soon was in touch with the connoisseur of friendliness and the owner of Cochamó’s refugio, Daniel Seeliger.Before even arriving in the valley, I knew I would fall in love with it. It was in the middle of nowhere. It had mountains of granite. It beaconed a strong, friendly breed that constructed a loving community by whatever means necessary. Water ran throughout it – fresh water, recently provided by fallen snow. Small birds chirped and goliath birds soared and inspected. We spoke in foreign tongues. We cooked and ate together. We shared tales of sorrow and adventure, success and wonders that lay ahead. All the while, it made deeper and deeper impressions on me, from within which I can barely see else.The lessons I have learned I wish to impart upon others, but I cannot go so far as to do so, I can merely retell the circumstances in which I learned. From building fires that remain lit, to cleaning cracks; from meandering between languages with mono- and bi-lingual friends, to engaging in wistful and heartfelt conversations using others’ slang. These are but the stars that you can see.Climbing has taught me a lot that I have been able to apply to life. Some lessons are ongoing, like not only being curious and anxious but also being relaxed and determined to confront your fears. For me, this appears to me in the form of recognizing that my dreams and nightmares are but one: I must confront them, face to face, and approach the giant walls that scare me and yet call me like a siren from whom I cannot waver.But it’s more than just climbing in Cochamó that has taught me and raised me up from the ground. The landscape, as diligently beautiful as it is, too, still is not the complete picture of what it is to be in Cochamó, to be about Cochamó. Sharing, enjoying life. Taking advantage of not the sunny days, but the rainy days, too. There are tasks in life for each part of weather. Not one weather is bad, but different, and better suited to certain activities. For me, it became a division between time that I would spend working on engineering, blazing, and opening the trail versus time that I would dedicate to discovering, cleaning, and climbing new routes. As well, there were chores mixed in like cleaning clothes, oneself, cooking and what not, but these you must find a way to do regardless of the weather.I am eternally grateful to Cochamó, the place and the people and the experiences born thereof. Being a part of the experience of building friendships and communities generates a certain type of skill and a feeling that I will be searching to maintain for the rest of my life. So thank you, to everyone that made this past season in Cochamó as great as it was, and the future seasons in Cochamó a utopia to look forward to. If I mentioned every individual’s name here and now, I would probably begin shedding tears and selling all of my worldly items yet again to give each one a hug once again. I would also have to start sharing all of the wonderful stories of memories I have stored away for rainy days. Instead, I will be in touch personally. You have my word! For now, enjoy the ensuing vignettes about certain climbing route sagas and trail happenings, with personal descriptions and individual memories aggregated all at once: a stirfry of all memories Cochamó. I hope you enjoy.

3 comments:

  1. Nate, this was a pleasure to read because you clearly put your heart into it one hundred percent. I miss you, and I'm proud of your accomplishments at home and abroad. Hope your well, talk to you soon.- Brian.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to put the beauty of Cochamo into words... not an easy task! -Ben

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brian, thanks! I really want to share this place with you and everyone I care about who also loves nature! It really stole my heart! Can't wait to see you bud!

    And Ben! Mr. Zany, excuse me! That compliment means a lot coming from you, mr. decorated describer and photographer! Can't wait to join up with you somewhere on another adventure! We've yet to climb together, really!

    ReplyDelete